24 December 2006

Sam

My colleague Anita offered me one of her cats. It's a long story, but Sam is mine for as long as I live in the UP. He's an adult male (what I'd been longing for) and a total lovebug. However, his arrival is quite the story.

Anita lives in Marquette. I live in Ontonagon. It's about 115 miles from her house to mine. On a good day, it takes me about two hours and ten minutes to go from A to B. Last night I got snowed in in Marquette, and didn't leave for home until this am. I picked up Sam the Purring Machine at about 10:15, and he immediately began yowling.

When I called Marlene from the road, she asked, "Are you torturing small children in your car?" When Ginny called me a bit later, her first words were, "You have a very unhappy cat." It was a LONG two hours. Sam stopped yowling during Car Talk, but really that was it.

When we got home, I unloaded his cat box and his food, and then let him into the house. I showed him both, and he immediately went into the basement and hid. For hours. Just as I began to wonder if he'd ever surface, I went down stairs again, and he acted glad to see me. Against his better judgement, I brought him upstairs, where he has been prowling around, cuddling Mama and me, eviscerating a catnip mouse, and generally acting glad to be here. Presently he's contemplating, make that in, my lap.

Pictures soon.

No comments: