19 January 2007

Two more eagles

Or, maybe it was the same eagle twice.

Manuel and I drove to Ironwood together yesterday. On the ride over, we saw a murder of crows feasting on a dead deer by the side of the road. With them was a bald eagle, also feasting. Because bald eagles have been so much a part of my time here, I was very excited.

Manuel said that he'd seen so many of them that he didn't even get excited anymore. I hope that doesn't happen to me. When I see a bald eagle, my heart quickens. I give a little gasp. And I grin like a fool from ear to ear.

On the way home, we saw the same murder of crows feasting; an eagle (perhaps the same one) was feasting, as well. I don't care if it was the same eagle. My heart beat quickened. I gasped and grinned. And I counted it again.

Running UP eagle count: 7

2 comments:

Wayfarer said...

Eagles are truly majestic birds!

There were two that lived near my home growing up, and I would see them every so often in the trees as I wandered through the woods. Beautiful they were, but I always felt a little unnerved by their stare, as if they knew they could have done me harm if they'd wanted. I never lingered long around them.

We don't see them all that often around our place now (the notable exception being the small family of them at Barton's Cove, which I love to kayak out to watch when the weather is warm). It's great that you get to see so many!

Fran said...

My only previous eagle experience has been on Barton Cove. I, too, would kayak there for the express purpose of eagle watching. There's something about the abundance of eagles here (relatively speaking) that continually takes me by surprise.