13 March 2007

Could it be... Spring?

It's been downright balmy here in the UP over the last few days. It was, honest to God, 70 degrees today in Marquette. I walked around all day with no jacket on. Hooray!

Snow is melting, and small creatures are starting to appear. The bad news: I've killed two wee rodents - perhaps chipmunks - in the last few days, as they've been scampering about with abandon and not paying any attention to the big cars on the road!

I also saw another eagle, close up. It was eating something dead in the ditch, and flew up beside me as I drove past.

Last week, I learned to snow shoe, great fun. There was still plenty of snow, so we walked on the beach by my house for 2.5 hours. It was great. Both yesterday and today I've had brisk walks, enjoying the warmth and the sun.
The bad news is that it's supposed to be back to twenty, or so, by the morning. We'll see.

4 comments:

Abuela Marty said...

Sorry 'bout the chipmunks. It's 70+ here in Virginia. I'm wearing my pink Birkenstocks. Had to remove the evidence of my DECEMBER pedicure!

Wayfarer said...

Enjoy the weather for as long as it lasts. Here at Wayfarer House, we had the same thing yesterday, but tomorrow we're supposed to get 6-10" from a Nor'easter. Out like a lion, they say!

Anonymous said...

Sigh....I hate to tell you this, Frannie, but it's just a very short respite. The problem is some people get really mad when it snows again after a warm spell, but it works better to just soak it up and keep your boots by the door! Although, with global warming, who knows?

:-)
Neely

Abuela Marty said...

Neely, I love that... soak it up and keep your boots by the door. Pouring rain here now. There's a wren taking shelter under the deck railing.