01 March 2007

Snow Day!

Even by Yooper standards, this one's getting alot of hype. For the last three days, all anybody could talk about was the weather. Blizzard. High winds. Whiteouts. 10-15" of snow. Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!

Last night, I received an email from Manuel that said, "Do not leave the house in the am until we've talked." I went to bed feeling like a ten year old. "Please, please, please let it snow," I chanted as I went to bed. And I awoke feeling that same disappointment I felt when I was ten and the much vaunted snow storm had not materialized.

I got up, made coffee and began scouring the online weather resources to sort out what was happening weather-wise and what I should do.

I called Manuel at 8:30; he said, "Good Morning. I think you should stay home today." The storm was late, but still coming. And so, I stayed home. I was back to feeling like that ten year old who has suddenly gotten a day free from school.

5I'm home on a Thursday! (It's my busiest day; I usually leave the house at 8:45 and get home around 11:30pm.) I have NO obligations. Er, no, scratch that. I have a ton of obligations and suddenly all the time I need to do them. Er, scratch that, too. I have time to noodle on the computer and have lunch with Ellie!

I'm home from lunch now, and sitting at my computer. As soon as I finish posting this entry, I'll be ready to produce a worship booklet for our diocesan Spring Conference next weekend. And ten minutes ago, the snow began to fall, in earnest. I don't know how hard the wind is blowing, but the snow is falling more at an angle than straight down.

I'm feeling grateful for a day at home with Sam!Cat, power, food and heat.

4 comments:

Laur said...

Hey Fran, SNOW DAYS are a good thing! At some point, you must make a snow angel as a thanks giving. Woo hoo time off due to snow..an angel at least, maybe two.
Enjoy, Laur

Wayfarer said...

My school had a 2hr delay Friday, but the kids' school was cancelled. This was an organizational pain in the patoot because Suzanne had to take them to work with her.

Then there's the shovelling. When I got home, there was 5" of heavy, wet, heavy, sticky, heavy slush that needed to be shovelled. Suzanne, bless her heart, did a big chunk in the front of the house, so Harold and I could do the rest before it froze, but now my shoulder is sore.

I'm hoping this is the last of it. I'm ready for spring.

TimB said...

I love how bright everything is after the snowing has stopped. Far more blinding than the sun in summer! :)

-=Tim=-

Unknown said...

It's getting close to 90 degrees and the sun is shining brilliantly and I think I'll go kayaking. No thoughts of snow today!
But ah, how well I remember snow days and that sudden rush of glee, and then the wonder of time to play in the white stuff!