07 June 2007

Broken Hearted

Sarah and I were on vacation. We'd spent the day, in clerical collars, marching in Buffalo's gay pride parade. We'd started planning how to spend the rest of the week, painting the living room, hiking Niagra gorge, having dinner with her Mama. The opening credits had just rolled on Memoirs of a Geisha when my cell phone rang.

I knew something was terribly wrong if Manuel was calling me on my vacation. His news: that our bishop, Jim Kelsey, had been killed in a car accident several hours previously. I told him I was coming home. Sarah, officially the best friend ever, came with me. We drove 14.5 hours back to the UP on Monday (only 48 hours after I'd driven 14.5 hours to Buffalo).

We're all in shock. We're all grieving. Our hearts are broken.

Jim's funeral will be tomorrow (Friday, June 8, at 4pm).

8 comments:

Gallycat said...

Everyone around the blogosphere has been talking about what an amazing person we've lost, and I can only imagine how heartwrenching it must be for those who knew him well.

You've been in my prayers all week. Heartfelt sympathies and *hugs*!
~Helen

Abuela Marty said...

I stole your photo and put it on my blog. It's such a wonderful moment. I'm glad it was captured. It's even got Progressive Pragmatist in the background!

It was good to hear your voice today. The Holy Spirit unites us so strongly in these moments of anguish. God will keep us strong and Jim Kelsey's work will keep us busy!

Love you,
M

Suzanne said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and the loss to your community. From all that you have told me, Jim was a truly amazing person. May the light he brought into so many lives continue to shine.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. With much love and many blessings from all of us at Wayfarer House.

Anonymous said...

I am so very sorry for your loss you don't know me, but know that you are in my prayers.

Cher said...

Fran:

My heart goes out to those in Northern Michigan whoses lives Bishop Jim has touched, to his family, and to you and the Congregates whose lives you are touching at this time though the missionary work you are doing in the UP. I am sad to learn of his loss.
Many Blessings.
CRB

Anonymous said...

Hey Fran, Laur here. I am very sorry for the loss of Jim in your life and in the life of the church. We need people like him all of the time. He was/is a huge role model for many of us.

I'd also like to add a prayer for the other lives that were changed in this horrific accident. Another man died and a passenger was severely injured. Prayers or them and their families would not be out of line.

A final and nasty question..you drive so much, I worry..was a cell phone involved?

Fran said...

No cell phone involved, at least as far as I know. Apparently it was bucketing down rain with horrible visibility. Hydroplaning?

Anonymous said...

Thanks HG,

YOU DRIVE SO MUCH!! and have a cell phone and an Ipod..Maggie is great but you are the pilot.

Jesus and his gang just walked..much different speed. Be careful out there, OK?

How you and the other missioners doing? Big changes but I hope you keep it going.

Love Laur.