14 January 2008

Michigan's Messed-up Primary or Small Town Joys

Perhaps you've heard about the messed-up presidential primary in Michigan.  The State Party Muckety-Mucks, tired of having our ballots cast after all the decisions had already been made, stated that they would move our presidential primary to January 15th.  The National Party Muckety-Mucks, said, "Oh, no," and threatened to penalize the state, should the primary move.  
The primary moved; we've been penalized.  Oh look, cause and effect.  The only candidates who've been campaigning here are Romney, McCain, and Huckabee.  Let's just say that it made for some exciting TV watching this weekend.  NOT.  

It's not yet clear whether any of Michigan's Democratic delegates will be seated at the convention this summer, which is why the candidates aren't bothering to campaign here.  It's also why most Democratic candidates aren't even on the ballot.  And, apparently writing in my choice disqualifies my vote.  So, my limited presidential primary voting options are as follows.  (1) Vote for Hillary Rodham Clinton. She's on the ballot, but she's so not my choice for President.  (2) Vote for Dennis Kucinich.  He's on the ballot, but he's also not my choice (though he's a far sight closer than HRC).  (3) Vote for Uncommitted Delegate. There's absolutely no guarantee that the delegate will support the candidate of my choice, but at least I'm not voting for the candidate NOT of my choice, right?  (4) Say screw it and not vote at all.

To make matters more complicated, I left Ontonagon this afternoon.  Now, what you may not know about me is that I am a committed voter.  I don't skip elections.  I believe deeply that voting is a privilege.  But neither could I couldn't quite justify making an extra 232 mile round trip in order to vote in this debacle.  Especially not to vote for Mr. or Ms. Uncommitted Delegate.  So, this morning, I called the Town Clerk and begged to vote by absentee ballot, which he allowed me to do, about 20 minutes before he closed the office.  I LOVE living in a small town.  

I'm feeling pissed off about the whole situation.  I've been an Obama supporter for over a year now, and I feel ripped off that I didn't get to vote for him.  On the other hand, I did get to exercise my civic duty.  And, I suppose that's really what this is all about.  And, I got to appreciate, yet again, the joys of living in a small town.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi HG,
It sure was a messed up election for people that like a choice. And Mitt the Shit walked away with a "victory" ugh.

Glad you did get to vote.

NZ does it better, three weeks of campaining, vote, take the signs down, get on with life. Simple.

Love,
Laur

Sare said...

Hm. Interesting. I'm in a different place. NY doesn't have open primaries, and so far as I've noticed, Buffalo isn't anybody's campaign stop, despite 232 votes up for grabs in our state. After much deliberation on my own part, I've decided not to officially affilate with either party. This doesn't mean I'm an independant, as in NYS, Independant is a party affiliation. I'm officially 'blank'.

It's an odd feeling, to have thoughtfully exercised your civic right to vote and decide not affiliate with a specific party and thus be labeled 'blank'. As in, I left my party affiliation blank, because perhaps I forgot, or couldn't decide.

This does mean that I don't vote in the primaries, because NY doesn't have an open primary.

As super tuesday is tomorrow, and of course, NY is part of that, I'm left wondering if I made the right decision. I would rather be able to vote in the primary, but it sticks in my craw to have to declare that I Am A Democrat. How about this, I Am An American, which has absolutely nothing to do with my voting record, whose campaign I might contribute to, what issues I might write to my elected officials on, but rather my right to do all of the above.

S, still thinking about this.

Anonymous said...

HI Sare, totally agree with you. I am an American and I can vote however I want without telling "You".
Something is very wrong here.

Good to hear from you.