06 June 2008

More Wildlife Stories

I know I've been silent here, for a while, but I'm back, hoping to catch up a bit.

Last evening, I had an amazing pair of wildlife sightings, within five minutes of one another.

First, I saw a car pulled over to the side of the road.  I thought it had, perhaps, broken down.  Then, I realized that the driver was looking out into the field beside the car, with binoculars.  So, I pulled over, got out my binoculars, and saw a moose in the field, some distance from the road.  I've seen several moose in the wild in Northern Maine, but this was my first UP moose sighting.  I reveled in it for a few minutes, and then headed on my way.

Just a few miles down the road, I saw what looked like either a black standard poodle or a black sheep running in the road.  I slowed down to avoid hitting it, it crossed in front of me, and leapt onto the rock formation beside the road.  As I passed it, I realized it was a young bear.  I got a very good look at, as it was no more than ten feet from my car.  This was my first bear sighting in the wild, and I was very excited.

When I first arrived, I got pretty excited about the deer and eagles I was seeing.  But, I see deer on virtually every drive (I heard recently that there are far more deer than people up here!).  And, I see eagles quite frequently.  I still find them exciting, but they are pretty common.  So, this pair of critters was pretty thrilling.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Zowie!