26 October 2006

My first Tattoo

I've wanted this tattoo since I was nineteen; as Jeff -the-tattoo-dude pointed out today, that's more than half my life. I think it's safe to say that this was not a phase.

So today, in honor of my ordination to the priesthood three weeks ago, I got this tattoo. In case you are wondering (it's hard to photograph one's own ankle), what you are looking at is a photo of my left ankle.

The most amazing thing about the experience was not the tattoo itself, but the long conversation that Jeff and I had, while he was doing the tattoo. "So," he said to me, "what do you do?"

"I'm an Episcopal priest," I replied.

"Really? That's so cool!" And then, this dude with tattoos covering nearly every inch of exposed skin, multiple piercings, earlobe stretchers, and a T-Shirt reading Strippers really like my pole, proceeded to talk with me about faith, spirituality, and theology for the hour it took him to do the tattoo.

He wanted to know what I thought about various parts of scripture and more about the Episcopal Church. He shared some of his own spiritual thoughts and explorations. To say that it was not what I expected would be understatement beyond measure.

I nearly invited him to attend the 7pm Explore! service at my friend Ginny's church, Trinity Episcopal Church in Houghton, but I was afraid of falling into the crazy-evangelistic-Christian stereotype. So, I've decided that when I get my next tattoo, because, oh yes, there will be another one, that I'll invite him to come.

The great public tattoo unveiling took place at Canterbury House, the campus ministry at Michigan Tech. Rick celebrated by making me a fab latte and teaching my how to run their high-tech espresson maker. The house was packed with more than a dozen students, and they thought it was great. It was the perfect setting to take the wrapping off in.

I've spent the rest of the day grinning like a fool, trying to be nonchalant about looking at my ankle.
 Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

MargretH said...

It's very very purrddy.... I love it.... love it!
I'm not brave enough for a tattoo.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the tattoo!!!!

Abuela Marty said...

OK, so I want the tour of the tat symbols!
The NEXT one? Oh, girl.

Love,
M