02 May 2007

Interview, Round One

This came to my attention first at Suzanne's Blog, and then at her husband Wayfarer's Blog. I apparently asked them EACH to interview me - so I'll tackle Suzanne's questions first, and then Wayfarer's in the next couple of days.

If you had a day to do anything you wanted to do, with no family or job responsibilities, what would you do?
I would start by sleeping in, that's no shock. But not super-late. Then, I would spend the day outdoors. Hiking, kayaking, picture-taking. The options are endless. I'd pack some good food to eat on the journey. And I would spend the day simply enjoying the beauty that surrounds me here. I've done it a couple of times since moving to the UP, and it's always been a refreshing treat simply to wander about.

You have a one-way ticket to anywhere. Where would you go and why?
At first I thought this was easy, and then I noticed the one-way stipulation. There's no place I'd like to go and not come back here again. But, I would like to really travel in Europe. I don't mean an "If this is Tuesday it must be Paris" sort of tour. I would like to spend three or four months hiking/train traveling around Europe. I want to see the big cathedral and little churches. I want to explore art museums and the great sites of history. I want to eat local foods and drink local drinks. And I want to do it all at a snail's pace, in order to really experience the places where I am. But, I want to come back again.

Who is your favorite 1960s era musician/band, and which of their songs is your favorite? I'm not so much a fan of '60s music. I've been listening, almost exclusively, to the 70s station on XM radio. I was going to choose Queen, and then discovere that they were founded in 1970. ARGH. That having been said, I am partial to both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Forced to choose, I'd have to say "The Long and Winding Road" by the Beatles.


You are on a quest and at the end, you will find your heart’s desire. There are two paths you could follow to arrive at your destination. One is a 600-foot long bridge over a deep chasm (think “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom” – “Hang on lady, we go for a ride”). The other is a subterranean pathway deep underground (you’d get a torch, but nothing else to light your way). Which pathway would you take, and what do you expect to find at the end?

I hate, despise, loathe, and fear heights. So this is no contest. I choose the subterranean pathway. What I would find there would be enough money to make a serious difference in the mission and work of the organizations that I believe in and to live comfortably for the rest of my life, so that I could afford to work for less money at the work that I do. I don't need to be super rich, but I do need to eat, be clothed, etc.


I’ll give you one more question, even though the last one was a two-parter...

You get a phone call from NASA. They need a priest on the next space shuttle mission and they want you. You would have to spend the next 6 months training for the mission, months of intense, grueling physical and emotional work. Do you go?

In one short heartbeat. I'm not one of those people who has a burning desire to go to space, but I love adventure. This appeals to me - if NASA wanted chaplains, I'd sign up!

OK. Now it’s your turn! Here’s how it works:Leave me a comment saying, “Interview me” I’ll email you five hopefully provocative, entertaining questions. There’ll be different questions from the ones I’ve answered here (that’s the beauty of this!)You update your own blog with the answers to the questions I sent, and include an explanation of how this worked with an offer to interview someone else in the same post.When other people comment on your blog asking to be interviewed, you get to ask them five questions, and the process evolves. It's fun - so try it!

1 comment:

Abuela Marty said...

Ok... I'll bite. :-) Ask away!
~Martha